Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Finding God

I missed the Harry Potter craze when it first came around but after seeing the preview for the latest movie I decided that I now wanted to read them. I just finished the second book and have to say that they are pretty enjoyable. I love that God is so evident in popluar culture, in music that is not labeled as "christian", in movies that may even have an R rating, and in books that some would consider "of the devil" do to witchcraft.

As I was reading the Chamber of Secrets I found a quote that I really loved. Dumbledore the great wizard who is head of the school of magic tells Harry Potter "It is our choices, Harry that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." I believe that this is often what God tells us as well. It doesn't matter if we feel we can or can not do something, it isn't if we feel we don't have the skills to do this or that, it is the choice that we make. Are we going to listen to God and do what He is calling us to do, or are we going to sit back on our behinds and ignore His calling because we feel we "Don't have the abilities to do that" God gave us gifts for a reason and in order to develop our gifts and skills we must use them. Isn't it nice to know that our effort counts for more than our ability?

No comments:

Post a Comment